- Review of By the Book: A Literary History of Queensland, edited by Patrick Buckridge and Belinda McKay.
Although one might wonder at the enterprise of compiling a literary history of a state, which is, after all, a political entity, one could argue…1 November 2008
- Review of Paper Empires: A History of the Book in Australia, 1946-2005, edited by Craig Munro and Robin Sheahan-Bright.
Once upon a time, I thought that the book I bought in the booksbop was the book the author wrote. Yes, silly I know, but…1 November 2008
- Review of Making Books: Contemporary Australian Publishing. Edited by David Carter and Anne Galligan.
This volume of writings from UQP is a timely contribution to a cultural arena currently caught up in discussions about publishing and books, about priorities…1 May 2009
- Review of A History of the Book in Australia 1891- 1945: A National Culture in a Colonised Market, edited by Martyn Lyons and John Arnold.
Literary studies have changed, as readers of this review will know well. They are increasingly concerned with context, one example being the acknowledgment that an…1 May 2003
- The Reading Communities of Collecting: Sale Catalogues, Sociability, and Ephemerality, 1676-1862
An important dimension of the circulation of books and the sociability associated with that circulation is the second-hand book trade, a notable contemporary example in…1 October 2014
This special issue tracks the ways in which Victorian literary texts and ideas were transformed by their arrival and reception in the Australasian colonies and…31 October 2015
- ‘An Explosive Novel of Strange Passions’: Horwitz Publications and Australia’s Pulp Modernism
The scant academic attention Australia’s pulp publishing industry has received to date tends to focus on pulp as a quickly and cheaply made form of…19 December 2019
- Culture wars and corporatism: The cultural mission in Australian non-fiction book publishing, 1958–2018
In this article I investigate four phases in Australian non-fiction publishing between the late 1950s and early 2000s, focused on works of current affairs, politics…28 April 2020
- Mark Davis
- Ross Harvey
- Toni Johnson-Woods
- Susan K. Martin
- Kylie Mirmohamadi
- Andrew Nette
- Gillian Russell
- Terri-Ann White
- Robert Zeller