- Literary Composition on Board a Convict Ship : The ‘Pestonjee Bomanjee Journal’1 October 1969
- Review of Quintus Servinton : A Tale Founded upon Incidents of Real Occurrence by Henry Savery
As the paving stones go down, it becomes necessary to walk more warily. The time is gone when we could read up Henry Savery in Morris Miller, and get away with it. Now we must actually read books like Quintus…1 June 1963
- The Convict and the Aborigine : The Quest for Freedom in ‘Ralph Rashleigh’1 October 1968
- Review of Convict Words: Language in Early Colonial Australia, by Amanda Laugesen, and Chain Letters: Narrating Convict Lives, edited by Lucy Frost and Hamish Maxwell-Stewart.
What makes these two books on convictism complement one another so well is their shared concern with the power of words. This may be an unsurprising statement in relation to Amanda Laugesen's book, a dictionary from those indefatigable monitors of…1 May 2004
- Convict Legends, Australian Legends : Price Warung, the Palmers and Others, 1927-19701 May 1980